When working with SharePoint 2007, 2010 and 2013 platforms, it is very important to understand all SharePoint permissions, individual permits or licenses, to use on your SharePoint site. SharePoint sites provides administrators with options on how to restrict and allow permissions of their own SharePoint sites. If you are a SharePoint webmaster and would like to manage permission levels for your site, make sure you assign the appropriate permissions for all users who use your site.
Managing SharePoint Permissions
Permission levels- are collections of individual permissions and are assigned to users or groups of users of a particular SharePoint site so that they can perform the desired actions. There is no unique relationship between a user, administrator permission or group level permissions that can assign different levels of permissions to a user or group.
Permission inheritance- By default SharePoint uses a legacy system as the application of permission levels referred from the highest level to the level of item or document. This heritage can be broken at any level, at any time and apply permissions exclusively.
User Groups– in SharePoint user group is a set of users with the the same permission levels on a certain site or content. SharePoint groups can be linked to security groups active directory so that the permission management is simplified.
SharePoint 2010 Document Management
SharePoint 2007 had many capacities within document management. Document libraries allow users to check-in, check-out, version control, level permissions list item, process with business workflows and Recycle Bin. SharePoint 2010 and 2013 have expanded these capabilities which has intensively improved how webmasters apply SharePoint permission levels.
New permission features on SharePoint 2013 and 2010
All list items have an ID column that is an AutoNumber. This ID is unique to list level and not at site collection level. Document ID allows us to activate site collection level the ability to identify our documents with a unique ID for this collection.
When you activate the feature you can configure the common identifier for each document (this will allow you to have unique ids of documents for each site collection) and the search scope for all lists..
The Document Sets, or sets of documents, are a feature that allows us to have a special type of content with the ability to group different types of documents in a set.
For example, to make an offer on a company several documents are required, word files with the offer, the excel sheet with costs, the project to planning, etc. Document Sets allows us to have a content type that create these documents from a specific template and keep them grouped and associated with common information. By staying grouped, we can apply workflows to all documents version and perform a lot of SharePoint permissions.
If you want to create a new content type using Document Sets. The first thing to do is activate the feature set of documents to the site collection level.
Next, create a document library and activate the option of managing the content types. Once you can manage in the sharepoint permissions content types, add the content type set of documents.
Content organization allows us to define based on document metadata rules. When you activate the feature, a document library is created, called Temporal Library, which is in charge of receiving the documents and moving them according to the rules defined. When loading a document according to the rules defined, everything will be moved to another library once all information is collected for required properties.
Steps to properly configure SharePoint administration accounts and delegate to others
The SharePoint permission steps are:
- Create a new account active directory
- Add new member account to the local administrators group
- Add new group member account WSS_ADMIN_WPG
- Add the new account to the list of Farm Managers in Central Administration Tool SharePoint
- Run PowerShell command to assign the role of Shell Access SQL Admin on databases to the new account can manage
SharePoint Web sites have several user groups created by default, this gives the IT department a means to secure the contents of the website by granting permissions for each user group. The permits include, but are not limited to, “Read Only” and “Full Control” of the website files. Troubleshoot SharePoint permissions is to check the level of permissions for each user group.
How to Troubleshoot SharePoint Permissions
- Open a web browser on your computer, then go to the SharePoint site
- Click “Site Settings” in the upper right of the SharePoint site, click on “Advanced Permissions”.
- Click “Permission Levels” and scroll down to the user group whose permissions you want to solve. For example, if SharePoint users complain about limited access to documents on the SharePoint site, click the permission level “Full Control”.
- Check the box with the permission level you want to assign. For example, to overcome the problem of limited access, select “Full Control”.
- Click “OK” to confirm the new setting.
How to enable the document information panel by Designer
One of the best ways to integrate SharePoint 2013 and Office is through the document information panel that displays the metadata of the document in Office client accordingly. For every panel that is displayed, you must enable the configuration level content type when defined or when it is done afterwards. In this article you will learn how to enable the configuration using SharePoint Designer 2013 (SPD 2013).
Follow these steps on how to enable the configuration using SharePoint Designer 2013
- SPD 2013 and started a list of libraries you access the site in question. We click on the library that interests us.
- Once on the summary page of the library, on tape, we click on the “Website Management”
- This causes the browser opens showing the administration page of the library. If we have previously enabled the option to allow management of content types, we have only to click on the type of content that we are interested in the “Content Types” section of this page.
- In the configuration page content type (eye-level list / library), click on “Settings Document Information Panel”.
- Simply we enable the option that the document information panel and ready to display.
If you follow the above illustrated guide, you will find it easier to manage SharePoint permission levels in your SharePoint site. In order to change permissions in SharePoint, you must have all the administrative privileges of allowing or denying site permissions.