The SharePoint Quick Launch contains “option-links” of selecting or editing lists, sub-sites, pages and libraries of a SharePoint site. Quick launch options helps one to navigate between different areas of a website, from a sub-site to the main parent site. You can use Quick launch options on your SharePoint site to display headings and links that point to different areas of your site. On SharePoint 2013, the options for adding and editing navigation links are not the same as the ones of older SharePoint versions.
SharePoint Quick Launch -Best Practices
How to Edit a Site Links by Using Quick Launch on SharePoint 2013
- If you want to edit quick launch on your SharePoint site, open your SharePoint site and locate the “Edit-Links” options on your screen
- Click on the “Edit-Links” options to to open the “Quick-Launch” in an edit mode
- To edit the links on the “Edit-mode” drag drop your links to the editing area or simply click on the “link” button
- Once you click on one of the links, you can add a custom URL and the text to display
- Click on the “OK” button when done
How to Add or Delete a Quick Launch Heading
The steps of adding or deleting a SharePoint Quick Launch depends on the publishing features of a website.
1. If you want to add, delete and edit a quick launch heading on a publishing site follow these steps:
- Go to the “Site-Actions” menu on your SharePoint site and click on “site-settings”
- On the “site-Actions” menu pint your mouse to “Site-Settings” and click on the “Modify-All-Site-Settings” option
- A “Look and Feel” option column will appear on your screen, click on the “Navigation” tab
- The Navigation tab is only visible to SharePoint sites that have publishing features enabled and Full access permissions on the site
Do one of the following with your Heading
- To edit a heading, select one of the heading that you would like to edit. Make your desired changes to the URL, description, title and other settings.
- If you want to delete a Heading, scroll down to the heading you want and confirm well. Click on the “Delete” option to remove it.
- If you would like to add a heading, click on the “Current-Navigation” on your Quick Launch features and click on “Add-heading”.
- On the boxes provided type the URL, Title and the destination that you want to provide. If you would like to set your heading to open in a new browser window choose the “Open-Link-In-New-Window” option.
- If you want to target the heading to a particular audience so that it’s only visible to all people that belong to that group, choose the groups or individuals that you would like to see the heading.
- After you have done your preferred changes, click on the “OK” option.
The SharePoint Quick Launch toolbar is a powerful window’s taskbar component that allows one to access some editing options in a SharePoint site. With quick launch options on your site, you can easily edit, add, delete and change the way links work on your SharePoint site. When changing the settings of your links on quick launch, you can hide pages and sub-sites from the public.
However the options for configuring SharePoint Quick Launch for your site depends on whether the publishing features of the site collection are enabled.