SharePoint reporting is a topic that has elicited much discussion in the technological world. Sharepoint is another innovative technology from Microsoft that enables corporations to host multiple web pages on the intranet. This tool is quite helpful as it simplifies the collaboration of various system features. In addition, it also facilitates access to all the necessary information.
SharePoint Reporting – Overview
Benefits of SharePoint Reporting
The competitive nature of the modern business environment necessitates the need for actionable intelligence. Having the information is not enough on its own. This needs to be backed up by the ability to transform the information into useful knowledge. The knowledge needs then to be transformed into decisive action. Platform performance needs to be easily viewed and reported upon especially for SharePoint 2010 and 2013. The data also needs to be easily exported if the need arises, especially for litigation purposes.
Business intelligence is sensitive to time. This therefore means that quick access to the relevant and precise information needed is of great importance. Comprehensive and flexible reporting capabilities are essential. These capabilities are based on all platform activity and system health metrics. These are important as thy give the decision makers the relevant knowledge that is necessary for successfully deploying the necessary strategies.
SharePoint Health and Status
Information regarding SharePoint servers is important in the development of future management and procurement strategies. This information includes their roles, functions, health and services. Access to vital metrics including inheritance events, average site load times, and object inventories are key. Together with server memory usage, security setting, service reports, workflow status and storage usage help to identify and prevent problems. This means that such problems will be dealt with at an early stage before they negatively affect productivity.
SharePoint reporting is essential for efficient management. This is because it will enable you to understand how the deployment is being made use of by the end users. Intelligent decision making can be made when the following questions are answered:
- What content was accessed to and by whom?
- Who are the consumers of content and who are the producers of the same content?
- How do the site activities of different sites differ from one another?
- On average, how long does it take for a particular workflow to complete?
Manage, Optimize and Report
SharePoint reporting enables users to better comprehend SharePoint server performance, topology, security and usage. This is done in accordance with industry best practices and with the help of customizable alerts and reports. The reporting allows organizations to:
- Track, record and ultimately report on every activity of the SharePoint platform activity and architecture. This can either be done in real-time or even on a timed basis.
- Make sure that SharePoint guidelines and best practices are adhered to. This is done through monitoring the prevailing state of the organization’s environment. It also alerts the administrators, especially when network, storage or activity thresholds have been exceeded.
SharePoint reporting gives an organization the opportunity to get critical compliance intelligence that is based on enterprise governance policies.