Microsoft just announced at its ‘Future of SharePoint’ event in San Francisco some of the new innovations they have planned for this year. In addition to sharing their visions of SharePoint, Microsoft also announced general availability of SharePoint 2016, which will give users connectivity to Office 365 updates.
SharePoint ‘4 Areas of Innovation’
File sharing on any device: Users are expected to experience a more enriched file sharing and collaboration and experience. Files will be easy to share and the document will be instantaneously updated, to ensure all collaborators are on the same page.
The following capabilities will be rolling out this quarter:
- Access to SharePoint Online document libraries and Office 365 Group files from the OneDrive mobile app.
- Intelligent discovery of documents from both OneDrive and SharePoint.
- Copy from OneDrive to SharePoint in the OneDrive web experience.
- OneDrive Universal Windows Platform (UWP) application
Mobile and intelligent intranet: SharePoint mobile app is available for download on iOS, Windows and Android. For users that do work from their mobile device, or constantly need to be connected this will certainly be a welcome innovation.
Other features to expect this quarter:
- Modern document library experience (currently rolling out to First Release tenants).
- SharePoint mobile app for iOS.
- SharePoint home in Office 365.
- Modern lists experience.
- Site activity and insights on the Site Contents page
Security: Sharepoint users will now have more control over who has access to their files, along with extra measure on data loss protection policies in place. SharePoint hopes to be your solution for auditing and compliance purposes as well.
Best mode for collaboration?
SharePoint has easily become one of the top used services for businesses to collaborate and share files. However, Microsoft must continue to innovate and give added functionality to compete with rivaling companies, such as, Dropbox or Slack.
What features do you think will be most useful in SharePoint 2016?